- We use Oxford Spelling (
~ise), but note the irregularities list. A further useful resource may be the Ubuntu Word Substitution list;
- We do not censor taboo words – we all know what the words are;
- We have a preference for
~edpast participates; learnt, not learned (unless we mean learnèd);
- blonde (fem.); blond (masc.).
- We do not underline.
- For lists, a semi-colon (
;) denotes the end of a list item, with the final item in the list having a period (
- One space follows a period, not two or more;
- Numbers under 10 are spelt; numbers over ten are numerically given;
- List items start with an upper-case letter;
- A preference is expressed for ligatures and accented letters to aid reading:
- Abbreviations have a denoting period;
- We use emdashes (—) and endashes (–). If in doubt, refer to Butterick;
- Ellipses are executed as one character (
…), not three individual periods.